I Found(ed a) Religion!
[Beware: Topic Maps ahead.]
Once you reach a certain age, you seriously ask yourself whether this has been be all: wealth, fame and many beautiful women.
It is the time when you look for a more integrated meaning in the universe. A meaning which transcends all levels of abstraction. And a processing model which gets rid of the silly separation between programming language and semantic data store with its static knowledge.
Learning From Jachvae (aka Jahweh)
One thing I learnt from religious Java zealots is that people having faith in any religion expect it to be absolute, to be completely self-contained and closed. And it must be full of cryptic recipes:
- "That's the way to do it in Java."
And it must be closed:
- "Yahweh is my shepherd, I lack nothing."
And the virtual machine must be standardized:
- "Yahweh is our God; Yahweh is one: and you shall love Yahweh your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might."
Loosing My Religion
I always found it schismatic to have different scriptures:
- The more orthodox XTM church and the reformative CTM congregation.
- The encyclica TMCLsis which adds the purgatory of non-conformance and constraint violation to Topic Maps. (It is an encyclica because TMCL takes about the time the Pope needs for encyclicas.)
- And the inquisition related to the TMQL scriptures. (They had been originally composed by a disciple of Thomas Aquinas.)
And then there are also the TMRM sectarians.
Religion Engineering: TempleScript
As a strong non-believer in this Unholy Trinity my new evangelical religion will only be based on a single scripture, that of TempleScript.
It is a programming language based on Topic Maps. And like any other religion, it takes loan from others:
- Sermons are lists of observations. Each observation is a TM statement (association, name, occurrence). Observations are temporally ordered along a time axis and have themselves a temporal extension.
- Gospels are collections of sermons.
- When sermons are retold and passed down generations this is done by preachers. These operators transform sermons into other sermons.
- Priests are virtual machine interpreters and they operate in temples (aka processor cores).
Apart from that, all wisdom is shared in AsTMatic notation, be it
- apodictions (facts),
- beliefs (reified statements),
- commandments (constraints)
- epistemic knowledge (derivation rules), or
- prayers (query expressions).
Protection Against Persecution
Of course every new religion needs a charismatic leader. CatBert has already volunteered for that, but I withhold a final decision. This is my right as God Emperor.
Before you plan to become one of my evangelists, you will have to enter the clergy. And that will imply a sanctification process which I still have to define. In any case, the induction will involve pretty gruesome methods. And chocolate.
Ah! And we (CatBert and me) will remain a secret society. So do not expect to see something published any time soon.