Week of 08/19/2007 - 02:00 to 08/26/2007 - 01:59

TMQL Tutorial at TMRA07

If you happen to be in Leipzig on the 10th of October and you happen to be close to Villa Ida and it happens to be around 9:00 in the morning and you still happen to have no plans for the day, why not attend my 3-hour tutorial about TMQL, the upcoming [http://www.jtc1sc34.org/document/secretariat_temp.ht

Posted In

YAPC::Europe 2007

08/28/2007 - 00:00
08/30/2007 - 23:59
Etc/GMT+2
Posted In

TMRA 2007

10/10/2007 - 00:00
10/12/2007 - 23:59
Etc/GMT+2

The mandatory TM fragment (in AsTMa).

Posted In

Turing vs. Gnirut Test

Alrighty, we now have the following tests:

• Turing Test: Can a machine expose a behaviour which is indistinguishable from a human?

So what about the following spam:

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:29:06 +0900 (JST)
From: "YOUR (ATM)SWIFT CREDIT CARD PAYMENT" <presidency_kkgbigbe_ngr200771@yahoo.co.jp>
Reply-To: presidency_office_ngr2@yahoo.de
Posted In

Higher Education, the daily grind

Being Associate Professor at a private, world-class university may have the whizbang sound (and it can be fun, sometimes), but it also exposes you to a rich variety of social backgrounds. And it involves you into more or less highly intellectual discussions, with colleagues as with students. Such as the following between HI (a student) and some lecturer RHO who wants to remain anonymous:

• HI: For this assignment we have to make on this application server Zope, .... I have created a login for me in Zope, but now my Zope is dead.
Posted In

I failed the reverse Turing test today !

When Alan Turing devised his Turing test it was more of an academic question, whether or how machines can become indistinguishable from humans.

The reverse Turing test is now used in all sorts of websites to allow humans to distinguish themselves from machines.

The human (that would be me or you) is presented with a simple task which to understand it needs a human. Tasks such as reading fuzzy numbers or characters blended over a busy background (captcha).

Such as this:

Posted In

Do despair.com !

Sure, sure, we all know that the Internet is full of ... uhm not so overly useful things. We are on the same page here then.

Still, the Internet has its gems. Apart from my all-time favourite http://www.supersluttymomsover100.com/ (don't bother to follow that, of course I made it up. You should know me by now)...

... ok, so apart of that I just adore

and its slick, clearcut design and message. Look at the recently added video section and replay your last working days in your office in your head.

Posted In

Vienna a 24x7 city?

Recently I read on the news that Vienna has become a 24 hour city, such as London or New York, obviously implying that life never stops round the clock. If this is written in a community paper issued by the local city council, then it is probably meant as a good thing.

Firstly, I'm quite critically sensibilized when people claim such things as the

Posted In

News Flash: Web Developers are still Human!

Ok, my wife convinced me (actually talked into, but I would never admit that) to buy one of these shiny LCD screens. We actually have no TV set - just having moved from the boring country back to Europe - so buying one, eventually makes sense.

As long as we do not have to watch TV, that is. After 8 years TV in Australia I've had enough of it for a while.

I have absolutely no idea about LCD screens and what the myriad of 4-letter acronyms of the month mean. Which implies a lot of online research, and digging through the databases of various online shops.

Posted In

reverse-proxying ntop: Tragedy in 4 Acts

Table of Contents

Prolog

If you install - like I had to do recently - a lot of open source software, you sometimes wonder what the developers had thought about architecture. No, not about the architecture of their own products; I have stopped wondering about this. It's about how individual pieces are supposed to fit into an existing or evolving landscape, i.e. how they coexist or even interact with other software.

Yes, dear open source developer, so I think sometimes, the universe is bigger

Posted In